Thursday, February 11, 2010

Moon: 4.5/5

I don't often get excited about movies, but two movies in the past year have gotten me really excited.  (2009 was an exciting year for movies.)  I haven't seen one yet (Sherlock Holmes), and I just saw one last night (Moon).  I've seen a lot of movies in the past 12 months, but these are the only two I've been really excited about.

 

I loved Moon; The Missus hated it.  To be fair, this is not the kind of movie you can half-watch and enjoy.  Rather, it's the kind of movie where you immerse yourself, float around in it for a while, and never really get your bearings but never really get bored either.  (Think: 2001.)  Some things can be more important than plot.

Maybe that's what I love about science fiction.  One of my favorite reviewers described it this way:
[Science fiction] geeks love clockwork stories full of hidden messages and structural tricks, so much so that the puzzle-solving nature of the narrative is as much a draw as the subject or ideas.
For my money, the plot of Moon (how Sam escapes) is less intriguing than the clockwork nature of the story, its hidden messages, or its structural tricks.  Tack on brilliant acting by Sam Rockwell, a phenomenally atmospheric score, beautiful story-reinforcing imagery,* and an interesting play on the how-far-is-too-far theme, and you've got a movie well worth your rental.

*One of my favorite tricks/imagery: the base seems decently roomy, but Sam sleeps in a cramped twin-size bed.  That, my friends, is showing-not-telling.

In the interest of full disclosure, I feel I should disclose two things.  First, the Moon is my favorite celestial object.  Second, I guessed the twist around the 1:07 mark, and you know you always like a movie better when you guess the twist.

By the way, Sherlock Holmes is in my queue for delivery as soon as it comes out on DVD.  If you feel bad for me, please donate $20 so The Missus and I can make a date to see it in the comfort of a dark theater.

No comments: