Friday, April 02, 2010

It Was HIs Sled

SPOILER ALERT

Jekyll is HydeNorman did itI see dead people.

When I first read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I already knew the twist. Since then, I've re-read it at least twice and watched several film adaptations.

When I first saw Psycho, I already knew the twist.  Since then, I've watched it a few times, and I'm actually watching it right now.  (Dadgummit, Arbogast, don't go up the stairs.)  I asked for (and got) the DVD for my birthday.

When I first saw The Sixth Sense, I already knew the twist.  I watched it to see the little tricks Shyamalan pulled to keep the twist secret.  I haven't sat down and watched it since.

Another weird pattern.  I enjoy each Stevenson book as its own piece of art.  I enjoy each Hitchcock film as its own piece of art.  But I watch each Shyamalan movie hoping to recapture the magic of The Sixth Sense.*

*For my money, The Village came closest.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

After watching The Village, I was disgusted that Shyamalan cheated in his presentation of the story. I didn't feel that way after any of his earlier movies. It bothered me enough that I haven't bothered to see any of his later ones.

Jeremy Masten said...

See, I can't remember The Village well enough to remember what you're talking about. I just remember that it had some pretty scary parts, something that I think he should focus more on. The Happening came close, but I hate hate hate how he cheats at the end. Oh---the plants just decided it's OK. What? I hate that kind of ending.