Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Christian Lawyer: ACLJ or ACLU?

As a Christian and as a future lawyer, I have spent some time thinking about what it means to be a Christian lawyer.  I have some relatives and some other people I know who tell me that the only place a Christian has in the Bar is in the ACLJ.  But what about the ACLU?

I don't have much to say but this, just a bunch of jumbled thoughts.  Isaiah 1:17 says "Learn to do good; seek justice.  Reprove the ruthless, defend the orphan, plead for the widow."  In other words: everybody needs help, so help those who don't have anybody to help them; that is seeking justice and doing good.  Furthermore, Deuteronomy 32:35-36 says "Vengeance is [God's], and retribution . . . the Lord will vindicate His people."  Maybe it isn't the place of humans to decree justice.  Maybe we ought to defend those who are attacked by their fellow humans, regardless of the reason.

The more I struggle with this, the less clear the answer becomes.


powered by performancing firefox

No comments: