Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I Love Lucy--Adopt a Puppy

This past session, the Texas Legislature, or "The Lege" as my college prof called it, passed H.B. 2328.  This bill amended the animal cruelty statute.  I'm working on a paper about this new statute, so I'm trying to keep up with current events in animal law.  All that to justify this: I ran across an article from PETA entitled Uninvited Guests at the Westminster Dog Show.  In case you're lazy, the uninvited guests are holding up signs accusing breeders of destroying the chances of shelter animals.

I'm not going to tell you to go vegetarian or that animals have the same rights as humans.  But if you're in the market for a puppy or a kitten, give your local shelter a chance.  I did it a few years ago, and I haven't looked back.

2 comments:

Yee said...

Ditto! And breed rescue groups are great if you really have to have a specific breed.

I really have no problem with purebreeds though, as long as they're not unnaturally bred. I really love the look of French Bulldogs, but after I read that they've been bred to the point that the mothers have to have C-sections to give birth to the big-headed pups, I was kind of turned off.

But the nice thing about purebreeds is that you know what you're getting and I see that point clearly. You know nothing about the mutt you got from the shelter and while some work out wonderfully like my Charlie, there are terrors that come out of there too. There are no dogs in my belief that can't be rehabilitated from whatever problems they have, but the rehabilitation can be daunting to say the least.

When it comes down to it, I don't think anyone should be judging whether we should have mutts or purebreeds. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I can't blame either side for how they feel, but there are two rules that would improve the lives of all dogs, who are really the ones that suffer: 1) good breeders make the difference and will make or break a breed and 2) NEUTER AND SPAY YOUR PETS. Good Lord people. I'm sorry, but if you have a dog and you're not a breeder and it's not fixed, I automatically think you're a moron.

As long as people are responsible (which I assure you, most of the reputable breeders in the Westminster ARE), I don't see why anyone has to be so snotty about it. I love animals more than people - ask anyone - and even I think PETA is freaking nuts. Sheesh.

*end long blathering rant*

Yee said...

Oh wait, I wasn't done. Just a PS - any good breeder will require you to sign a contract that you will spay/neuter your non-show dog once it gets to the proper age. Breeders that oppose neuter/spay laws run puppy mills. Congrats to PETA for not making that distinction. Not that they ever do. And that's why I don't like them.

Signed,
Yee, who clearly feels strongly on this topic