Monday, January 29, 2007

Motorcycle Drive By

A few days ago, I discovered the wonder that is Ruckus.com. It's beautiful, if you have a college email address and your college subscribes it.

I've not had a lot of long-time friends in my life. My oldest friend I've had since I was 5 (pretty impressive, eh?), but past that, my oldest friend I keep much contact with is my wife, who's been my friend now since I was 18. I still count a good friend of mine, though we don't communicate much anymore. In high school we both went through rough break-ups at about the same time. We rocked out for several months to Third Eye Blind's self-titled album. Next time you go through a break-up (which I hope is never), listen to that album. I hate it when people say things like "It got me through some rough times," but this CD really did. Hehe, and I never really owned it.

I downloaded the whole album (minus "Jumper") from Ruckus.com a few days ago, and I've been listening to it. I've also been thinking while I'm taking my finals (a dangerous thing to think about anything other than your next final, eh?), and I've gotten some new insights in life, I think, some peace about some choices I've made in life. About halfway through high school, I abandoned my group of friends and joined a new group. I've always felt kinda bad about it, but I realized tonight: Where were they when I went through the rough patch of life that is the second half of high school? The abandonment, I think, was mutual. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about them, but I'd also be lying if I didn't say my life is a little bit better because I escaped.

Is that horrible?

The answer--no. Now I'm married to the most beautiful woman in the world, I'm doing something with my life via law school, and I've got plans. I've never before had plans, but now I do. Back then, I wanted to be a rock star. I think I always knew, though, that that would never work out. Now, though, I've got it all or I'm working on it. Although I'm not as close as I was to the guy who picked me up when I left my old friends, I remember our friendship fondly and want to catch up with him. Like Kenneth, Sean, and most supremely, mi esposa, Marcus has taught me that I'm a selfish prick.

Anybody need a best friend?

1 comment:

Alan said...

Yep, everyone needs a good break-up album.

Not to mention that the only thing constant in life is change. Embracing it makes one happy, fighting it makes one bitter, and we see that in so many relationships, both our own and those of others we know. And although it's interesting how we fall in and out of touch with one another, He typically works things out for the better, if not the best.

Good (but not too good!) luck en la manana.